Adjusting to a new baby always comes with its challenges. Whether it’s your first or your fifth, you’re dealing with lack of sleep, hormone shifts, putting the needs of this new human before your own AND figuring out what your relationship with your partner looks like now that there’s another person in the picture. These are some of our favorite recommendations for new parents to ensure that everyone is practicing some self care while caring for their new bundle of joy.
Sleep is obviously the biggest hurdle so let’s tackle this one first.
- Hire a postpartum doula – this is an invaluable gift you can give to new parents that will help them get some extra zzz’s.
- Smart Nora – the last thing you need when you finally do get to lay your head down is to be woken up by your partner’s snoring. I’ve been truly AMAZED at how well the Smart Nora has worked to curb my husband’s snoring. It’s been priceless to not only get more sleep but also to not be annoyed at him for waking me up several times a night!
- You can see in the picture below how it works, the box powers it and hides under the bed and then there’s a pillow insert that inflates when he starts snoring and it moves his head just enough to get him to stop.
- The egg looking thing on our night stand is the sensor that detects the snores and activates the pillow.
- Eye Mask – I was one of the first supporters when this mask launched on Kickstarter and I can’t say enough good things. It completely blacks out the room which is so great when you are trying to get your sleep in at odd times.
Nourishing your body with good food when you’re new parents is almost as important as sleep. Some great gift ideas are.
- Home cooked meals – easy meals that can be frozen and popped into an oven or crock pot are ideal.
- Take out gift cards. Or how about this Katz’ deli meal you can order on amazon?!
- Gift card to a meal prep service. Either one that makes complete meals or one that sends the ingredients and you make the meals like Blue Apron. My best friend’s husband loves to cook and got sick of eating meals people brought so this was a great option for them, especially when he was on paternity leave and had some extra time.
- Grocery shopping – either offer to do this for them and stock them up with some staples or gift them with a credit to a grocery delivery service in their area. Instacart is one many people use and Amazon Fresh is a newer one.
- Nursing snack station – Fill a basket with healthy and quick snacks for the nursing mom (trail mix, granola bars, jerky, nuts, etc).
- A great book that outlines specific meals that are nutritious and healing during the 4th trimester is this one!
- Monthly subscription for healthy snacks or fresh fruit.
- House cleaning service!!! (This is the #1 recommended by all parents I interviewed!).
- Dog Walking Service or doggy day camp gift cards.
- Take the older kids somewhere on the weekend and/or offer to do school drop off/pick-up for a week!
- Laundry Service.
- Cloth diaper service (obviously check with them first on this one!)
- Monthly subscription for flowers.
- Amazon prime membership (check to see if they have one first).
Here’s where you can have some fun and do some pampering for both parents. Almost all of these ideas came from new moms!
- At home massage visit or spa gift card. There are massage therapists that specialize in postpartum.
- Since they will be spending most of their time lounging around the house, a really nice robe or set of pj’s is a great gift especially since baby likely already has tons of sleepers, treat the parents instead!
- Nice sheets or a cozy blanket (maybe even one to commemorate baby)
- Herb baths – Mom shouldn’t be using any bubble baths or bath bombs right after baby but an herbal bath that’s specifically meant for postpartum is a great gift. I love this one for sitz baths and this one for full tub soaks.
- One mom suggested a special body wash or shampoo to motivate her to take showers and practice that basic form of self care! Try an organic option!
- High end face wash and moisturizer to help mom feel fresh and self indulgent at the beginning and end of each day.
- Diffuser and essential oils.