Born Into This is a conference for birth workers and leaders interested in the intersection of social justice, technology and creativity. The conference is an invitation to engage in a public conversation, a call to accountability, and a way to make contact across our differences in service to the past, present, and future of the field and our lives, asking the fundamental question: What were we born into?
Born into This is coming back in 2019 on June 27 and June 28 in Austin Texas. We expect talks, conversations and workshops to be better then ever before. So mark you calendars and reach out to us if would like to get involved. We are currently confirming 2109’s sponsors and would love to hear from you. Follow along on Instagram for more info @bornintothis.co
The Women Behind Born Into This
Gina Giordano Bio
Gina has been a birth professional for over 12 years. She is co-founder and creative director of Doula Trainings International and the co-creator of the Born into This conference. Together with DTI’s international network of birth professionals and the advocates at Born into This, it’s Gina’s mission to bring awareness to all births, and to reproductive justice through innovative and creative work.
Tara Brooke Bio
Tara started working as a sexual health counselor in 2001, and found herself drawn to all things that had to do with reproduction.She is drawn to the energy manifested during major life transitions, a fascination that grew to define her career. Tara has worked with hundreds of new families in NYC and San Francisco as they transitioned from couple to parents. She is the co-founder and executive director of Doula Trainings International and the co-creator of the Born into This conference.
Buying maternity clothes is so different than any other type of clothing you buy because you know you’re only going to wear them for a short time. Yet, many maternity clothes are actually MORE expensive than your regular clothes. This time around I knew I wanted to mostly focus on clothes that would be comfy for my pregnancy (all during hot Texas weather months) and still be useful for postpartum.
My Requirements for Maternity Dresses
- Comfortable for pregnancy
- Flattering Postpartum
- Unexpected Bonus (can hide bump in early pregnancy!)
These are the brands and dresses that I am loving the most! I’ve been so surprised by how many more options there are than there were 5 years ago when I was expecting my son. I’ve got some great coupon codes for you here too!
My favorite item from Loyal Hana is the Cybelle dress which I have in navy but it comes in a million colors. The flowy-ness of this dress is pure perfection—even at 21 weeks, I can still get away with looking like I’m not pregnant so if you are trying to keep pregnancy under wraps at work or elsewhere this is the perfect dress. It’s lightweight and breathable and has very discreet zippers for nursing (genius!). Oh, and did I mention, pockets! They also have lots of nursing-friendly tops that I have my eye on. They are actually offering 15% off your entire order with code TheBirthHour15 so hop on over and check out their options. Find them on instagram @loyal_hana.
This small business is hitting on all of my requirements and they take the comfy one to the next level! I’m absolutely obsessed with this dress (the v-neck will be perfect for nursing). I have it in dusty rose but I want it in every color! I also love this tunic —looks so cute on my bump but will also be so flattering postpartum. Finally I know it’s not in the dress category but these leggings are the most comfortable I’ve ever worn and the only under-the-bump leggings I’ve ever found to be cute (aka no weird muffin top bulging). They are also offering a 15% off code BIRTHHOUR if you want to check out their entire collection. I have a feeling I’ll be getting a few more items before the end of my pregnancy. Find them on instagram @matronsaint.
Ok, this company is so cool! Humble Hilo not only sells beautiful handmade and unique Guatemalan textiles, they also have an amazing social mission. When you buy from them, YOU get to choose to support projects in child nutrition, education and literacy for women, and microfinance loans for women to start their own small business. They have adorable shoes for kids and adults, gorgeous bags and my new favorite item, the hilo dress (with pockets!!) I have the noche pattern and can’t wait to get the matching mini dress for Adelaide (launches this week!). I love the pattern options for hiding stains (and baby spit up). They are offering 10% off with code THEBIRTHHOUR and you will want to check out their entire site and instagram @humlehilo.
I love the basics bundle option from Storq and these are my more form fitting maternity clothes this pregnancy. They are solid, basic and comfy for every day wear but can also pass as dressy when needed. I also have a couple dresses outside of the bundle and the first time I put on this dress and this dress I literally said out lout “damn!” because I thought I looked so sexy! And that’s really saying something because this was during the beginning of my pregnancy when it’s not totally clear whether you are pregnant or just ate too much pizza for lunch. These two dresses are super stretchy but don’t have ruching so they aren’t obviously maternity wear and could be worn post pregnancy as well. I’ve worn the long sleeve one to a wedding and the tank on several date nights with my hubby. Also super happy to report that they just announced that all new products they make will come in sizes 0 through 2X/22 (going up to 3X/26 in the Fall). They created 15 codes for 15% off when you use THEBIRTHHOUR at checkout. Find them on instagram @storq.
Did I miss any of your favorites? Share in the comments!
The Business Opportunity
Have you fallen in love with Essential Oils and now you want to share with others? With Young Living you can turn that passion into a real income! Our team’s primary mission is to give you the tools and education you need to succeed on your wellness journey with essential oils but we also recognize that making healthy changes in your home doesn’t come for free! Investing in high quality tools such as essential oils, non-toxic household items, supplements and vitamins takes money.
Why I love the Business
I honestly never take on things like this (The Birth Hour keeps me plenty busy!) but the YL team that I had the opportunity to join (and that you can join too!) is so fun & full of knowledge that I couldn’t resist joining them after watching so many friends move up through the ranks all while having a blast! I’ve been actively using the oils in my daily life so much that it only made sense to get on board and start sharing my experience. And to be totally frank, working solo on the podcast was getting a little isolating and I am loving having a group of friends both online and locally to share mutual goals with!
With a Young Living business you can:
- Get your products paid for
- Be your own boss and have more time with your family
- Earn up to six-figures a year (You will see so many REAL examples of this on our team! Truly inspiring!)
- Work alongside an amazing community of women leaders and entrepreneurs
- Earn an income that is a direct result of your own efforts and hard work
- Grow real wealth and residual income through the well established business model of network marketing
If you are passionate, team spirited, self-motivated, and looking to make a real change towards financial freedom, our community would love to welcome you to the team! We have all the resources and tools you need to start growing your very own Young Living Essential Oil business including graphics and photos free for you to use, premade oils classes for you to teach, ebooks, ongoing trainings and education, and best of all, a vast community of support and friendship. Honestly, my favorite part—it’s truly so much fun to work alongside these women and celebrate each others successes no matter how big or small!
We equip each of our new members with resources and tools including an online mentorship, and tons of guidance from those who have been right where you are. The beauty of a Young Living business is that it’s designed to foster a community of support. That means that when you decide to grow your business with Young Living and enroll as a distributor, you get free and unlimited access to all of our team resources and community support groups and anyone that you enroll under you will get the same!
So how much are people actually earning with a Young Living Business?
How much you earn in your Young Living business is entirely up to you. Some members are content to earn a few extra hundred dollars a month, while others are looking to earn six-figure incomes and beyond. My favorite part is that when those above and below you succeed, you succeed too! It’s definitely a team effort and you never feel like a salesperson out there alone.
Below is a document that summarizes the average incomes earned by the nearly 1.75 million Young Living members worldwide. Last updated in 2015. Our team is all about helping you reach your goals, whether that be to hit Silver in 6 months, or reach Diamond in 3 years. We have the tools you need to succeed and women who have gone before you and done exactly that!!
The following resources and tools are provided to all of our team members for FREE:
- Online Mentorship
- One-one-one coaching with your sponsor (me!)
- Four different online community support groups just for business builders ranging from an intimate group of around 50 women to a thriving group of over 8,000 active members (led by Casey Wiegand-Royal Crown Diamond leader).
- Our team google drive with scripts, graphics, documents, ebooks and so much more
- Ongoing business trainings through webinars, videos, community groups, and more
- No Glass Ceiling!
There’s room for everyone at the top! Today’s top earners in Young Living started the exact same way that you will –– with a Premium Starter Kit and a dream to make their lives better. Those leaders today have not only built a business for themselves but many have “retired their husbands” and are now working their YL businesses together! You will be able to connect with these women personally in our team groups! It really does matter who you sign up with and our team is the best!
No Uncomfortable Obligations
Unlike many other network marketing companies, Young Living provides a no-strings attached opportunity that is accessible to all! When you build a business with Young Living you are NEVER required to stock up on a certain amount of product, reach a quota, or move at a certain speed. You can do this business at your own pace, and on your terms.
Begin your journey by exploring the Young Living Premium Starter Kit. It’s the ONLY requirement to start earning a paycheck with Young Living. Yes really!
Let’s chat! Connect with Bryn by emailing email@example.com! You can also follow me on Instagram @bumptobabyessentials
Also, explore the Young Living Compensation Plan to learn more about earning an income with Young Living.
Comprehensive & Evidence-Based Childbirth Course from The Birth Hour
I’m so excited to announce the Mother’s Day launch of THE most comprehensive online childbirth course in existence! We will take you from the final weeks of pregnancy through postpartum and newborn care covering all of the evidence-based information for all types of birth, no matter what you are planning!
Then, we’ve got you covered when you’re going back to work with an additional six module Back-2-Work Breastfeeding Course that you will get completely free as part of enrollment in the Know Your Options Childbirth Course!
Lifetime Access + MORE Bonuses!
Oh, and you get lifetime access to everything! I’ve actually already had a few mamas who are still in the trying to conceive phase sign up because they wanted to be sure to get in on the course while they can! The cart will only be open through Mother’s Day! The first 25 students to sign up will get a special gift in the mail from Earth Mama Organics! Hurry!
Go Here For All The Details!!
Adjusting to a new baby always comes with its challenges. Whether it’s your first or your fifth, you’re dealing with lack of sleep, hormone shifts, putting the needs of this new human before your own AND figuring out what your relationship with your partner looks like now that there’s another person in the picture. These are some of our favorite recommendations for new parents to ensure that everyone is practicing some self care while caring for their new bundle of joy.
Sleep is obviously the biggest hurdle so let’s tackle this one first.
- Hire a postpartum doula – this is an invaluable gift you can give to new parents that will help them get some extra zzz’s.
- Smart Nora – the last thing you need when you finally do get to lay your head down is to be woken up by your partner’s snoring. I’ve been truly AMAZED at how well the Smart Nora has worked to curb my husband’s snoring. It’s been priceless to not only get more sleep but also to not be annoyed at him for waking me up several times a night!
- You can see in the picture below how it works, the box powers it and hides under the bed and then there’s a pillow insert that inflates when he starts snoring and it moves his head just enough to get him to stop.
- The egg looking thing on our night stand is the sensor that detects the snores and activates the pillow.
- Eye Mask – I was one of the first supporters when this mask launched on Kickstarter and I can’t say enough good things. It completely blacks out the room which is so great when you are trying to get your sleep in at odd times.
Nourishing your body with good food when you’re new parents is almost as important as sleep. Some great gift ideas are.
- Home cooked meals – easy meals that can be frozen and popped into an oven or crock pot are ideal.
- Take out gift cards. Or how about this Katz’ deli meal you can order on amazon?!
- Gift card to a meal prep service. Either one that makes complete meals or one that sends the ingredients and you make the meals like Blue Apron. My best friend’s husband loves to cook and got sick of eating meals people brought so this was a great option for them, especially when he was on paternity leave and had some extra time.
- Grocery shopping – either offer to do this for them and stock them up with some staples or gift them with a credit to a grocery delivery service in their area. Instacart is one many people use and Amazon Fresh is a newer one.
- Nursing snack station – Fill a basket with healthy and quick snacks for the nursing mom (trail mix, granola bars, jerky, nuts, etc).
- A great book that outlines specific meals that are nutritious and healing during the 4th trimester is this one!
- Monthly subscription for healthy snacks or fresh fruit.
- House cleaning service!!! (This is the #1 recommended by all parents I interviewed!).
- Dog Walking Service or doggy day camp gift cards.
- Take the older kids somewhere on the weekend and/or offer to do school drop off/pick-up for a week!
- Laundry Service.
- Cloth diaper service (obviously check with them first on this one!)
- Monthly subscription for flowers.
- Amazon prime membership (check to see if they have one first).
Here’s where you can have some fun and do some pampering for both parents. Almost all of these ideas came from new moms!
- At home massage visit or spa gift card. There are massage therapists that specialize in postpartum.
- Since they will be spending most of their time lounging around the house, a really nice robe or set of pj’s is a great gift especially since baby likely already has tons of sleepers, treat the parents instead!
- Nice sheets or a cozy blanket (maybe even one to commemorate baby)
- Herb baths – Mom shouldn’t be using any bubble baths or bath bombs right after baby but an herbal bath that’s specifically meant for postpartum is a great gift. I love this one for sitz baths and this one for full tub soaks.
- One mom suggested a special body wash or shampoo to motivate her to take showers and practice that basic form of self care! Try an organic option!
- High end face wash and moisturizer to help mom feel fresh and self indulgent at the beginning and end of each day.
- Diffuser and essential oils.
Setting boundaries with your loved ones is one of the tricky things about having a baby that no one really talks about in childbirth preparation. But Stephanie and I have both personally dealt with this and we know how important it is so we want to go over how to get on the same page with your partner and how to approach issues with your extended family. Be sure to grab my favorite free printable download yet that goes over some of the questions you should be asking each other and tips on how to navigate and set postpartum boundaries.
Have you taken our quiz?! I have been so surprised by the results so far! Where Should You Give Birth Based on Your Personality?