To listen to this episode, and more than 300 other birth stories in The Birth Hour archives, join our listener supporter group here!
Fast Hospital Labor and Birth
The family was excited when they found out Emma was pregnant. Emma had an amazing pregnancy; she felt powerful and proud to be nurturing a baby. After hesitantly deciding to have a hospital birth (because of costs) Emma was able to maintain her goal of an unmedicated labor and delivery.
Emma’s contractions sped up ferociously and she almost did not make it to the hospital. After Emma arrived, the baby was earth-side within 20 minutes and 3 pushes.
Dealing with Low Breastmilk Supply
Emma planned to breastfeed and had to deal with the challenge of having an extremely low milk supply. She was unprepared for this challenge, and felt the doctors and lactation consultants she worked with did not support her breastfeeding or have an understanding of low supply. Emma was incredibly resilient and worked hard to continue to breastfeed along with supplementing. Emma has become very knowledgeable about low supply issues and resources for mothers. She wants other mothers to know that low supply issues are common and there are many contributing factors; but, there are also many lactogenic foods, herbs, and activities to support milk production.
Emma Gomez Bio
Resources for Increasing Breastmilk Production
Emma wrote an entire post about her experience with low milk supply!
leafy green veggies, oatmeal, barley, brown rice, qunioa, chickpeas, lentils, almonds, fruits w/ pits, blackstrap molasses, rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk, garlic, artichokes, asparagus, carrots, sweet potatoes, yams, flax seed, nutritional/brewer’s yeast
Latogenic Herbs and Products
- Blessed Thistle
- Goats Rue
- Moringa (Pure)
- More Milk Plus
- Mommy Knows Best Supplements
- Mother’s Milk Tea Blends
- Mother’s Helper Supplement (from Five Flavors Herb Shop in Oakland, CA)
- Book: The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide to Making More Milk
- Podcast: Breastfeeding Outside of the Box
- Mrs. Patels (Fenegreek bars, teas, etc)
Activities to Increase Supply
- Use heat before pumping (Shower, Heating pad, warm washcloth)
- Breast Massage w/ Basil and Fennel Oils before pumping
- Breast compressions while pumping or nursing
- Power Pumping (Pump for 20 minutes, rest for 10, pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10, pump for 10 minutes)
- Pumpin Pal Slanted Flanges
- Nipple Cushions
- Spectra Pumps (Medical Grade/ affordable)
- Dairy Fairy Pumping Bras
Donor Milk Resources
- Human Milk for Human Babies (FB pages by Region)
Resources for supplementing
- Finish at the Breast method w/ Supplementation
- Supplemental Nursing System
- Pace Bottle Feeding Method
Majka Lactation Products
Majka wholesome nutrition for moms postpartum. From low milk supply to nutritional depletion Majka supports new moms so they can feel good and better enjoy early motherhood. Majka products are SAFE, bioavailable, and effective, created by moms for moms. Use code birthhour for 15% off your first order.